Saturday, October 03, 2009

really??

I have managed to top off my fabulous week with a bad cold and a mildly sprained ankle. That's what I get for trying to get some fresh air. That makes my second sprained ankle since moving to Athens - almost laughable, especially if you've ever been here and seen the sidewalks (and I use the term "sidewalks" loosely). Have I ever sprained anything before moving to Greece? That would be a no.

I had in mind to tell you about all the other interesting things that you can observe in public here (see previous post re: shooting up in public) that take place in other locales but not quite on the public scale that occurs here. Examples: peeing, nose picking, making out... but I'll save the apparent lack of need/desire for privacy here for another post.

One interesting note - I was actually able to make it out to a neighborhood art exhibit last night with some friends that is located around the neighborhoods we work in. Sprinkled throughout the brothels, etc. were old buildings full of abstract art - a real estate company is buying up these decrepit old homes and commercial buildings and turning them into art galleries in an attempt to make the neighborhood more artsy and attractive. We took the opportunity as unassuming "tourists" to snap some photos of brothels, too :) which is what the one above is.

1 comment:

R.A. said...

Yeah, when I was in France I got sick seven out of the ten months I was there, and over Christmas I was laid up with a fever for five days straight. I feel ya.