random photo of Athens street art to make post more interestingI am thinking about finally applying for a residence permit when I go to the States in June. I get a headache when I think about all the hoops I will have to jump through: birth certificates, doctors' notes, bank statements, letters from insurance companies, letters from my organization, background check & fingerprints, all translated and notarized, turned in in the States and in Greece, then more doctor's appointments, TB test, lung x-ray... GAH! But, worth it in the end, to not have to leave every 90 days and worry about the small chance of not getting back in or a very large fine??? (????)
I am thinking about my storage unit in Southern California that holds the contents of an apartment, collecting dust and racking up money to keep it there. It's paid through June; what if I got rid of it all? Would I miss it? Would I even want any of that stuff in a few years when/if I do move back to California?
I am thinking about a roommate. We have a girl coming soon for two years from Australia who I met at the prayer summit in Amsterdam last November. I love where I live, I can walk everywhere and I'm 3 minutes from the metro. And I like living alone. But it would save some money and probably give me more space, not to mention company. I'd be very picky about where I lived next, because my location is so great. And I just hate moving and going through the whole process again of finding a place. So I don't know. But I'm thinking about it.
I'm also thinking about the fact that I went to a different church this morning, didn't use the headphones for translation into English, and understood nearly the whole thing. What!!? Either this pastor speaks much more clearly (or uses easier words, or both), or my Greek has improved!! I was listening in sheer amazement the whole time (because I could actually understand most of what I was hearing), and even had a discussion about the sermon afterward with two friends who had their headphones on for the service. Bizarre!!!
And that is enough thinking for a Sunday afternoon. YAAAAAAY for not having any Greek homework to do!!!!!
2 comments:
I am thinking that is sounds like you're really wrapping your mind around the fact that this isn't a short-term gig anymore...and what adjustments might make this fact a little more manageable in the long run!
And, I'm thinking that it's very impressive that you've stuck with the Greek and have learned so much in really a short amount of time...
Praying for you as you think through these things!
I bet your Greek has improved. Slowly, like a frog in hot water, so you haven't noticed. :)
Praying for you and all the decisions. I hate making those kinds of decisions. It's so much easier to choose non-fat milk or whole for a latte...i think i'm getting soft.
Post a Comment