Adelaide 2, Kelsey 01. Yesterday I endeavored to take my suitcase into the city to get it repaired. It was torn on the flight from Sydney to Adelaide, so the airline is going to pay for its repair; I just need to take it to their specified shop downtown. I was feeling like getting some things done yesterday, so my goal was to drop it off and then meet Andrew at his shop for a coffee during a break at 5-5:30. I wrote down my google map directions and set off on the 40 minute journey.
I'm just going to save you all the grief and tell you that an hour and a half later I was still driving around, way out at the other end of the city, balling my eyes out and cursing this stupid city and its stupid detours due to stupid bike races and stupid food festivals. :) Andrew figured out where I was on a map (the map directory was missing from the car I was driving) and directed me to the shop, where I arrived just as his break was ending. :(
Today he ordered me a GPS navigator. :)
2. I wasn't up to a second suitcase-drop attempt today, so I thought I'd just go over to the bank, 3 blocks away, to open a bank account. I've been meaning to do this and hoped to at least cross one thing off my list. I rushed to make it there before closing, and arrived at 4:45 with documents in hand and high hopes for no more foreign transaction fees.
The bank closed at 4. What kind of hours are 9:30am to 4pm? I think I need to get a job there. Curses again, stupid stupid stupid.
You know when you move to another country, all your energy is spent on just managing a status quo in your emotional existence? So when something, possibly quite minor, happens, it upsets the balance in a major way...
Yeah, I've never experienced that either.
[P.S. For the record, I've been doing quite well, settling in well here, and I actually like it. Yesterday was just one of those days. I've gotten lost before and it was my first time driving into the city to an unknown locale alone, and I was only half certain I would get there, almost expecting something to go wrong. Oh well. One of these days I will return to being a self-sufficient human being.]
2 comments:
You need to give yourself a break, lady. :) You've made some huge changes, and you have to give yourself time to catch up emotionally to your new physical realities. :) So don't be so hard on yourself. At least the people in this country speak the same language as you! (sort of)
Miss you. xxx
All that detour driving, and on the other side of the road, too! :( Bummer about the suitcase and bank: I always hate running into what i didn't know i didn't know, especially when i'm really counting on crossing something of my todo list.
Post a Comment