My grandpa passed away peacefully in his sleep yesterday around 6pm. He had battled multiple scleroses for most of his life, and was almost 90 years old. He has lived in a nursing home the last 4 years and has gotten pretty sick more and more frequently, but always pulled through. He called himself "Sitting Bull" (their last name is Bull) because he was wheelchair bound for the last couple years, and he liked to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies!" He never lost his sense of humor and continued to bless and minister to people even when his illness dictated his lifestyle. He was in a coma all day yesterday, and my mom was able to get there and say goodbye in the morning. My grandma said that the last thing he said to her, the day before as she said goodbye and left for the day, was what he frequently said when you said goodbye: "Lord willing and the creek don't rise." :)
"Poppi," Christmas 2005 at our house in Washington
I remember when I was very young, he had to start wearing velcro tennis shoes because his M.S. caused him to not be able to tie his shoes anymore. I always criss-crossed the velcro strips whenever I saw him. So he started criss-crossing them on his own and did that for the rest of his life. I was so proud. :)
Last Christmas, 2006, he wasn't able to leave the nursing home so we visited him there.
I'm feeling sad today remembering him and that he will no longer be there when I go home to visit. At the same time, he now has a fully functioning body and I can only imagine his joy where he is. :) It was so clearly his time to go, and I'm thankful it was peaceful. My grandma prayed for some time that when it was time, he would just "go to sleep," and that's what happened. I imagine that he is up there walking and using his hands and thinking, "It's about time!" :)
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Kelsey. I've been there and I'm thinking about you. God Bless.
What a special tribute to your grandpa. Hope you and your family continue to remember your special memories of him together. Love the velcro story, so sweet. Give our love you your mom and grandma for us and I'm sending a BIG hug to you. Love ya Kels
Post a Comment