Thursday, August 21, 2008

grants, benefits, and a little perspective

Palm trees in Hollywood

In the last couple of weeks we've heard a lot of good news about our grants and progress and performance with the Salvation Army trafficking position. Ruben and I are doing well with our outreach and training program and our grantors want to extend the grant another year, as I wrote before. Today we found out the Salvation Army has been awarded a few more big grants for human trafficking programs. It's really exciting - almost exciting enough to make me sad that I won't be around. With all the great contacts I've been making here and the success of the programs, all the people we've trained, the number of victims we've been able to help free over the last few months, the grant extensions...GAH! I'm sad to be missing out.

Yesterday Ruben met with the SA divisional social services directors about the future of the grants. Even though it's been extended, the Salvation Army has to agree to the contract, something they were hesitant about because they weren't sure they had the personnel. Along with our boss transferring to Portland and my moving to Greece, Ruben has a family with three kids to think of, and a part time job with no benefits wasn't something he was sure he'd be able to commit to for another year. The meeting yesterday had great results: because I am leaving, they are going to combine both of our positions for Ruben to make it full time for him. And because it's full time, the Army is going to give him benefits. And our branch's trafficking program will be able to continue.

Great news all around! So while I'm a little bummed about what I'm going to miss out on, I am excited to see that my leaving has allowed for the provision that Ruben's family needs! That kind of perspective adds to my conviction that I am on the right track. I like it when things work out that way.

1 comment:

april said...

That is such good news! It's so nice when one can leave a place and not feel like anyone is left in the lurch. :)