I've been in several discussions the past few weeks about legalizing prostitution. First of all, at parties, barbecues, meeting new people with friends at cafes, whatever - the question "What are you doing in Greece?" (an international derivative of "What do you do?") comes up inevitably. This always leads to a brief or longer (if they are interested, which some are) description or discussion on human trafficking. Many ask a few polite questions, show some shock, and move on to lighter topics, but many press it farther and want to talk about it more. Either is fine. But several times lately this has led into someone's soliloquy on why prostitution should be legalized. Hate to say it, but it's been a male every time.
And I usually say with some nonchalance that I disagree, and if they are listening, give them my reasons, to which they listen thoughtfully, don't usually have much of a response, and then we move on. I was just thinking about how in some cases I feel almost embarrassed to give my opinion. I know in most circles men (it's mostly men, although there are many women who believe in the woman's right to choose what she does with her own body) believe in legalization, and they think that it will curb problems like sexual violence and trafficking. (It's quite the opposite, in fact.) Often I feel like the little Christian girl with the conservative viewpoint talking to someone who probably has visited one of these women in their lifetime in some country or another.
But, it's ok, I've realized...I can articulate it in an intelligent way, and my reasons are not based on my faith (fundamentally they are, but there are many reasons that don't even need to get into that). So they usually do listen thoughtfully and I know they are thinking about it. And, they still like me afterward. :) Usually if someone is talking to me about trafficking, etc. in the first place, they will be open-minded enough to hear my thoughts. It's just funny how we can be shy to share our thoughts, our faith, our whatever, if we know it is not the popular belief. I like having these discussions with men, and being able to make them think about things beyond their own opinions or "needs," in a way that doesn't make them write me off or feel condemned or end the conversation.
I even got invited to come over and smoke weed after one of these conversations last week, so I guess I am still "in." Ha! (I didn't. Thank you.)
2 comments:
Oh, I know this feeling! It is practically a given at my school (it must be in the fine print in the application) that to attend you can't be able to see or understand any logical reason why anyone could ever have religious faith. So you can imagine what class discussions are like when we talk about , well, anything. Although anything involving social justice (like trafficking) is just fine.
Hey! When you have a long moment, can you send me an email with your logical reasons? When i tell people the little i know about what you do, they bring up legalization too. And i'd like to have some reasons to give them, other than that not everyone involved has chosen it, so it's not exactly about a woman's right to do what she wants with her body, is it. :)
Post a Comment