Today, on March 26, I finished my book for February. Woohoo! Only 26 days late. I am considering revising my goal to one "need to read" book every two months, rather than one. I believe in setting myself up for success. ;)"Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Day Slavery" by Siddharth Kara is what I just finished. It's been a long time since I have learned new information about human trafficking - being in my circles and having articles, etc. sent to me all the time there is never really any new information. So I appreciated this book and would actually really recommend it. It did cover the business side, focusing on the product (victims), wholesalers (slave traders/traffickers), retailers (slave/brothel owners), and consumers and his recommendations for decreasing the high numbers of sex trafficking that is taking place across the globe. But the author also took several extensive research trips and examined trafficking trends and patterns in many regions of the world. I gleaned a few pieces of information from some of his research.
Anyway, if you want to read more about trafficking and learn about what it looks like around the world, I'd recommend this one. Some parts are understandably difficult to read, and he shares his own personal reactions, feelings, and reflections throughout. But as we know it's a very important humanitarian and justice issue, and this book will give lots of good info.
I guess if I am revising my goal I have until the end of April to finish the next one...I wonder what it shall be??
No comments:
Post a Comment