Wednesday, September 27, 2006

online confession?

I saw a story on the Today Show this morning about a church in Oklahoma (LifeChurch) that has set up an online confession site: www.mysecret.tv. They interviewed the pastor, Craig Groeschel, who has a passion for changing the way church is done worldwide. It's one church with nine different locations. He has a master's degree in marketing and an MDiv.

So you go to this My Secret page and there is a disclaimer that the content should not be viewed by children under 18. Contained within are hundreds of confessions in the areas of addictions, eating disorders, pornography, stealing, abuse, lust, humiliation, double life, you name it. Click on a topic and be taken to others' deep dark secrets that they have decided to display on the internet.

"Have you experienced a victory that began with a secret confessed? A past hurt revealed? A lie exposed? We’d love to hear your story. But more importantly, thousands of other people who are struggling with the same burdens would love to hear. Your story could be another person’s hope." This is their purpose, if you will...share your sins so that others can learn and grow.

Noble. Maybe? But I have some questions. Where are we asked to confess our sin to the whole world? How useful is anonymous online confession? Where is the accountability, the connection to and responsibility for your sin? What prevents this from becoming a "freak show" website, where people can go to read messed up stories and feel better about themselves because there are people out there who are worse than they are? Is this really more than a commentary on our society's lost sense of sin?

I'm not saying it's all bad, or all good, I am just very intrigued at this new way of being able to feel better about ourselves. The pastor's thought is that it is a first step for those who aren't close to confession, some kind of connection to a church. I watched the video on the front page and I actually appreciated his comments on confessing to God rather than a computer, and he presented a clear picture of confession and forgiveness, what it means to be “made new.” Originally the site was set up as a response to a sermon series for their church, and it has caught attention in the whole country. I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts, and since no one ever comments on here, email me instead if you want. :)

No comments: