I took my Joshua lesson notes to the gym this morning to work on the message a bit and hopefully find some inspiration (not necessarily at the gym; just with more thinking and praying through the stuff).I set my bike at 30 minutes on hills and started pedaling away. Above me the TV was set on TBS and Walker Texas Ranger was on. :) I've never watched a complete episode of a Chuck Norris martial arts save the world like a true hero program, but my old roommate was mildly obsessed with him (ok--he wanted to BE him, I'm quite sure). Every once in awhile I glanced up to make sure Chuck and his blonde rescuee were still doing ok.
Then came the fight scenes (the blonde was safely tucked away in the tree branches, hidden from the world until her sneeze gave her away to the bad guys! Silly lady). Conveniently, Chuck (Walker? Texas Ranger?) was dressed in perfect martial arts friendly attire. I rolled my eyes. Isn't he ALWAYS conveniently dressed in perfect marial arts friendly attire? He is always so prepared. A bad guy comes within 15 feet and he's in position - crouching, hands up, ready to slice and dice.
He's always so prepared...hmmmm...!!! That is really what Joshua 1 is about, preparation. It's God's instructions to Joshua in order to be successful at what he is setting out to do: claim the Promised Land. But these instructions are not military instructions, they are SPIRITUAL instructions. Joshua's success is directly related to his obedience and his relationship with God. Be strong and VERY courageous, God says, which in the Hebrew gives a sense of being "resolute," or set in purpose, resolved or determined. Why should he need to be these things? Because the next instructions (v. 7-8) give us the key to Joshua's success: meditating on and being obedient to the book of the law.
Our spiritual life, like anything, takes resolution, purpose, and preparation. We get out what we put into it. Joshua needed a resoluteness to not turn from the law, to meditate on it day and night, and to carefully do everything in it. Like Walker Texas Ranger (sorry, bear with me), who has resolved to study his discipline and practice his form in order to be prepared for anything, like an athlete who must resolve (and it really is resolve!) to do those workouts, practice, push hard, or a musician who practices several hours a day -- it takes a decision to excel, plenty of preparation, and plenty of discipline. God was requiring this of Joshua, and he requires it of us in our spiritual lives.
Want to be in better shape? Exercise more. Want to be a guitar phenom? (I do, darn it!) Practice through the pain and build up those callouses and get nimble fingers. Want to be Walker Texas Ranger? Sorry, there is no one like Walker Texas Ranger. But want to be "successful" in your spiritual life, in tune with God, and having the kind of prosperity that HE desires for your life? Press in. Resolve to do what it takes: meditation, obedience, consistent faithfulness to the word, discipline.
I believe Chuck rescued the ditzy blonde and everything turned out ok. And in the process he gave me a little reminder that I can apply to my lesson and even the things that I spend my time on day in and day out. Walker Texas Ranger really does save the day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment