Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hindsight is 20/20

Do you ever wish you could go back to being that 18 year old college freshman selecting a degree path with your current passions, knowledge and desires in mind? What would you major in if you could do it again?

While I don't wish for a second to have to repeat college (it was great but I've been over that for 7 years thank you...or 6...5? I forget), I do wish that I had had a better idea of what I might want to do back then. I chose (after changing at least 4 times) a bachelor's in sociology and minors in spanish and cross-cultural ministries (they didn't offer a CCM major at that time). A BA feels pretty worthless at times. The ccm minor still fits, and sociology fits very broadly (in terms of working with people!) but there are just so many other things I want to do.

Counseling, physical therapy, christian education, nutrition, and the list goes on. All of those (minus CE) involve advanced degrees which I could still do, but who wants to be in school for the next ten years? I wouldn't trade my current MA (theology and biblical studies), though I would trade the BA, and I can't help but thinking how any of the above options would be useful overseas. Today I was perusing the American Dietetic Association's website to discover the fact that it would take about four years to become a registered dietician.

Oh well. I am where I am right now, for a reason... :)

No comments: