Time again to revisit my impending trip to the Philippines, rescheduled for sometime in January (we are getting closer to having actual dates – very exciting!)…
My initial hesitations about doing a seminar for pastor’s wives have been quelled to some extent. We had an “informational meeting” a couple weeks ago (so I’m a little behind on my blogging) and since then I’ve been able to talk with a couple of the missionaries and other people with experience on the field. Teaching pastors’ wives how to “feed themselves” is not quite the intimidating task it would be here in my Talbot/Whittier Hills circles! Most of the pastors’ wives there have not even read their Bibles. They don’t even know where to start as far as what to read, how to read, and how to apply what they’re reading. Even a basic lesson on hermeneutics may be out of place here. We’re talking a very basic talk on personal disciplines and Bible interpretation. I can do that! :)
It seems like most people went into this meeting thinking “What is my role for this trip?” While we are looking for defined roles, the missionaries in the Philippines are asking what we want to do, and they will arrange it. Not easy for Western short term mission trippers! :) Each person asked to go has been asked for a specific purpose as far as what they can bring to this trip. We have a doctor, nurse, nutritionist, early childhood director, evangelists, teachers, and some who are being covertly recruited for long term ministry at the LRF over there (I’m not sure if I am supposed to be included in that group???). It’s quite exciting what is happening over there already, as far as training people in villages in different skills and ways to support themselves (making bread, digging wells, fishing, making bricks, grinding corn, etc.), and it seems like whatever skills we bring would be welcome, whether they be ministry- or life-skills.
So I told the leader I’m 80% sure I’m going, but who am I kidding, of course I’ll go. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment