Monday, April 02, 2007
in memory of...
I used to know Spanish. I took it all through high school and college. I spent every summer in college in Mexico or Costa Rica or Guatemala or the like. I got hired at my first job after college because I spoke Spanish. I used to think in Spanish. I've dreamt in Spanish. Journaled in Spanish. Written literature papers in Spanish. I went to Turkey and tried to speak to everyone in Spanish (Americans only have the capacity for one extra language - we hear another one and our brain switches to the only other one we know! haha). I learned some Turkish. Merhaba. Nasil siniz? Como te llamas? Ingilizce biliyor musunuz? Uno, dos, bir, iki, besh, seis, yedi, sekiz... Aaaah! Then I moved to Los Angeles, to the ghetto, right around the corner from mini-Mexico, people in the park on Sunday selling corn on the cob out of their little carts and everything. I hung out there and tried to speak Turkish to them. So many spanish-speakers, so little practice...I've just gotten lazy. It's like riding a bike, right? I'll get my subjunctive and my irregular verb conjugations, not to mention my vocabulary back?? Just throw me back in there and it will all start flowing again...??? Tesekkurler...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment