Monday, April 09, 2007

Our Grand Canyon Weekend: A page right out of history

Kristin and I needed a weekend away. We also wanted to see the Grand Canyon. So with very few days of planning and securing a hotel just two days in advance (spring break...no room in the inn!), we left early Friday morning on our "Grand" Adventure.

(No one mentioned that there are strips of 150 miles between here and Flagstaff AZ with NOTHING...most importantly with no gas stations. At this point, Seligman AZ was like an oasis in the desert:) We made it to the Canyon Friday afternoon for some breathtaking views (see below). But a road trip is not complete without odd roadside attractions (or so my roommate so unfortunately believes). This one is right on the road to Grand Canyon National Park. There was no dissuading her. She had to see Fred...




Ok I had fun too.

A random teepee by the side of the road...wouldn't you know it she's obsessed with those too :) Haha.


This one takes the cake...Jim & Dena's Miracle House. Dena herself gave us the history of how they came to bring their purebred white buffalos here, how rare such a buffalo is, actually these are the only ones, and how they are going to be featured on the Travel Channel on Friday. It's a miracle, really.

The daddy...he's big. He doesn't like cameras.


This is the only white buffalo pack in the world (I think?)...here's one:


Is teasing the alpaca ok??

This one likes to pose:


And on to the main attraction...

When we arrived for a peak on Friday night, my jaw dropped open...I really had never seen anything like this before in my life! It is amazing...



Saturday we hiked down about three miles and back out, and then another two miles along the rim to another lookout point. We figured out how to change the color settings on the camera :)

and the sunset helped the colors too:


Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have "made" you go to the freak show road side attractions, but you know you loved it! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't get over how beautiful you are :o) Looks like you guys had a nice trip! (I was just talking to my friend about the Flintstones and the Jetsons, now I want to go out to...wherever those were)