It has been great being in the Galilee area. It isn't very developed, so it's much easier to feel like you're actually in a biblical location. I've struggled with that in a lot of the places, with highways, buses, modern buildings and houses, etc. But natural features like lakes and hills don't change so much, so it's easier here.


Yesterday we were up in the hills above the lake, seeing all the cities around here that Jesus did his miracles in and where other events took place. We walked from the Mount of the Beatitudes down to the shore, around Capernaum, where Jesus was based for his ministry and where Peter lived. It's been really warm and sunny, although right now there is a huge windstorm outside and it's freezing. Here, I walk on water:

Earlier today went to Caesarea Philippi, where we did some climbing...

and saw a waterfall that is mentioned in Psalm 42...

Also climbed around on Mt. Hermon, near where the Transfiguration probably took place, and explored in Nimrod's fortress, a Crusader fortress with lots of tunnels and passages.

Tonight we ate at a restaurant near the water, called, appropriately, the Fish Restaurant. They specialize in "St. Peter's Fish," which we had to sample:


He was tasty...at least I think there was a faint taste. We then went on a boat ride on the lake, which was cold, but fun. We read a few of the passages that involved boats and this Sea, including of course Jesus walking on water. We kept looking for him but I guess it was a one-time thing.


Obligatory Titanic reenactment:

Tomorrow we head back to Jerusalem, for our last couple of days before we return home early Sunday morning!
3 comments:
I was totally going to ask you about the St. Peter's Fish! That's one of the things that (oddly enough) I remember about the little shops by the Sea of Galilee. Ha ha, you beat me to it! :o) I'm glad you're having fun.
Who is the monk!?
There are lots and lots of monasteries everywhere, and monks (and nuns) too.
Post a Comment