Friday, October 31, 2008

a delayed rescue!!!

Part of my job with the Salvation Army was doing surveillance on websites advertising sex. (Not my favorite part of the job.) A couple of months ago I found a massage parlor in LA on craigslist advertising a new young boy that they had. A couple of us actually went inside to talk to the lady at the front desk of this place, which was in an unmarked office building with no signs, not even on the door of the suite. She denied even offering anything but foot massages, and said they had never had a boy working there, and that they never advertised online. All the while a young Thai woman sat on the floor behind the desk in revealing clothing. She didn't speak any English.

We drove by that place a lot, but once we turned the case over to ICE (immigration & customs enforcement), there was nothing we could do, since we didn't want to jeopardize the case. Frustratingly, whenever we'd check back with them, they were still "organizing" the surveillance, or putting together their team, or coordinating with LAPD, or something. I hated the fact that there could be a little boy stuck in there!!!

Well ~ months later, I have gotten some great news! Ruben texted me this morning saying ICE has just rescued this boy!! I haven't heard the "full briefing" yet, but he is 16 and from Laos. Given when the ads started showing up, he's been here for several months. I can't believe the massage parlor is still there, honestly; usually they are quick to move around, especially if they suspect any kind of investigation. So, I don't know all the details yet, but hopefully Ruben will be able to do case management for this kid through the Salvation Army. I am rejoicing today about the rescue of this kid!!!

1 comment:

The Goodrich Family said...

Kelse~

I am so glad this boy was rescued! Thank you for finding him and then keeping on top of the "govt" to make sure they recovered him. What a tragic situation that you were able to help start healing. It makes me so sad to think there are young boys and girls out there being exploited like this. Horrible!!! Thank you for helping them Kelsey!

Much love to ya!
~Amy