Monday, February 09, 2009

No running, no cycling, no stairs, no kneeling, no no no.

Allow me to translate for you what I heard as the doctor spoke these words to me yesterday: DOOM!

First of all, do not ask me why I had a doctor's appointment on Sunday afternoon. For the same reason that Voula's sister had a doctor's appointment at midnight a few weeks back. It's Greece.

I was happy though to meet with this specialist as a second opinion. He is a friend of Pepie's cousin, and as Pepie was also having knee troubles, he agreed to see us - and he didn't charge us. A little blessing in itself!

This doc studied my x-ray and found some issues with my kneecap, as the other one did, but pronounced a more detailed problem and treatment. I am young enough that the eroded cartilage should mold back into position with proper rest and exercises (muscle strengthening to make my kneecap work properly), without surgery. But this entails doing basically nothing that involves bending my knee. Try doing that for even an hour!

The anti-inflammatories that the other doctor gave me have helped the pain subside for the most part (why can't I take these forever?), and today I went to the gym to do some of the isometric exercises. The words "lifestyle change" have definitely been sitting heavily in my thoughts the past two days. I should be able to have normal function in my knees again, but things like running would only continue to aggravate it. There is a pool very close by that I will be joining when I get back from Thessaloniki. I don't love swimming. But I'm going to learn to like it!!! (I'm still holding out for mountain biking in the future!)

Goodbye to my running days, triathlons, etc. Wow. It's kind of a big deal for me! :(

3 comments:

R.A. said...

I totally understand that this is hard for you and all,

BUT

the fact that your knee may heal itself is exactly and answer to prayer...exactly what I've been praying.

And you'll totally learn to love swimming. ;)

Sharone, Uncloned said...

Hey, yay, no surgery! That IS an answer to prayer :) The other stuff...well, I know it is hard. But I feel like there's room for more miracles - God isn't confined by what the doctor says, even when it's good (or better) news :)

In the meantime, live in this season, and (blugh) learn to love swimming! I will learn to love swimming with you, if you want. I'll take lessons or something :) (In fact, I will probably HAVE to learn to love swimming if I want to get to school today; it's pouring down rain.) Let's talk about it!

Kelsey said...

Yes, yes, yes...I know it's better news. Discouraging to me, because I am not even 30. But positive in that I will probably still be able to do most normal things. I just have bad knees. Like I am 75.