Funny, as I have been thinking about this and writing it this week I've been having some retroactive stress or something. Since I've been back from France I feel like I've been getting the minimum done and can't do much more. I think the last month and a half - moving, traveling, buying all furniture and appliances, figuring out how to pay rent, bills, etc. in Greek, not having things delivered on time, preparing for and teaching this class each week, organizational-relational issues and confrontations, added to just generally living in a foreign place - have added up to quite a bit of stress that I "successfully" managed to stuff deep down inside by not thinking about any of it. I guess yesterday, when I pretty much didn't leave the couch all day, means it's catching up to me!?A visiting friend last week said, "Clearly you're under quite a bit of stress." Whatever, I don't get stressed, I thought. Nevermind that I just freaked out that you left my living room window open as we left the house for the day (don't you KNOW that people BREAK IN to HOUSES here?!?!). Ok, maybe a little stress. :)
Moving right along...6 months - wow, right? It's gone so fast. Feels like a few days and an eternity all at once.
4. Ministry. I must say it really helps me to sit down and write my monthly update letters. (Hmm, speaking of which, I need to get on that for May!) It reminds me how much we have going on after only six months. It's been a challenge finding our place here, figuring out what we're doing and what we're going to focus on and how to interact with others. I had always planned to spend my first year meeting people, learning how things work here, and learning Greek. I can safely say I've been accomplishing those things - so the other things are little bonuses. We're doing our Hands That Heal training for the second time and have had some other awareness speaking engagements and events. Raising awareness about human trafficking and prostitution is a big job here, and will take a collaborative effort. I've also enjoyed volunteering with Nea Zoi (New Life) doing outreach to the women and men on the streets and in brothels, and look forward to being more involved with them this summer. On the horizon...organizing a possible international conference, more trainings, and many other awareness events.
6. Long term plans?? Oh, wouldn't you like to know. I will at least be here through next March since that's when my lease on my apartment ends (actually it's two years, but we added a clause that I can leave after a year without penalty). I plan to come home for Christmas, and I'm at that point where I'm praying about staying longer here. There really is much to be done, and as things slowly start to fall into place and I can see a role for myself longer than one year, it begins to seem more like a reality. We'll see - keep it in prayer for me if you think of it. It involves raising more support when I'm back in the States, too, which is another factor. But really, I can see myself here for awhile and I'd like to try, if that's in The Plan. We'll see.
All in all, I think we're doing ok. :)
4 comments:
i really enjoyed reading all the fun things in this post, but as soon as i read 'home for Christmas' i didn't remember anything but that! YAY! HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!
YAY home for Christmas!!
YAY considering long term!
PS when you say HOME for Christmas, do you mean SoCal, or elsewhere?
Home means SoCal and Seattle area.
Post a Comment