Sunday, May 10, 2009

Savoir-faire

Hellooooooooooo!

Finally have an internet connection here. I will be home tomorrow when I will be free to share with you all the glorious details of my trip. The photo above, which I did not take, but this person did, is a famous restaurant in Lyon that I ate at with my "roommate" on our last evening in Lyon. I had one of the most interesting things I have ever eaten (and I have eaten a few interesting things in my day) ... asparagus flan. Gag all you want, but I actually really liked it. It was in the shape and texture of flan, but it definitely tasted like asparagus. It was the side dish to my lovely little slices of overpriced chicken. :)

The conference was good. I didn't really learn any new (to me) information on human trafficking as much as it was so good to be re-inspired and to be with people who have similar passions. I guess when you're working alone, as I often feel like I am, it's difficult to maintain the passion and enthusiasm. It was just refreshing to be reminded that people care about the issue, powerful things are happening, and there is support. I was encouraged by some of the leaders in the field who knew of me and let me know I am doing a good job!

I'll have to share specific things that struck me over the next few posts. My roommate, Irene, was from Switzerland. She has kids almost my age, and she is the director for several programs across Europe. We had a fun time exploring Lyon in our free time (which was scant, but we crammed it into our breaks and stayed up too late).

Thanks to a generous supporter & friend, I am in Paris for the weekend! I'm really blessed. I am a little anxious to return to Athens, as I have a bit of work to do before our human trafficking class starts on Tuesday night. My friend has several missionary friends here, so we've been able to spend time with some really great families over the last couple days. I've enjoyed that time almost more than the "Paris things." Almost. :) I'll share more about the trip this week!

4 comments:

janell said...

fouxde fouxde fouxde fa fa! AYA!i'm GLAD paris is over! (selfishly) i've felt like you've fallen off the planet! hopefully, you tried escargo with your asparagus surprise?

R.A. said...

I don't really know what to say to this post. I just somehow wanted to let you know that I had read it, that I love your blog, that I love what you're doing overseas, that I love what you're doing about human trafficking, that I pray for you, and that...that's it.

Kelsey said...

thank you :)

Todd said...

love the photo in your header!

Todd
http://toddgourley.blogspot.com/