Lyon river frontI wrote a bit on my other blog about the conference in France (copied below). As I mentioned, while there was no new information, I did enjoy hearing about others' work and ministry, what they've tried and what has/has not worked. There were many ministries in all different phases and stages. I wish there had been more time for meeting people and networking - although I have learned that I am not so good at the networking thing! I think it's definitely a skill to be developed. I don't naturally go up and schmooze with all the people in the room that I don't know (maybe it's a bad sign that I equate networking with schmoozing), so it's a bit of a stretch for me. It's like speed dating or something (I've never actually done that); you have to meet people and find out all about them, tell them about you, and make some connection that could be valuable to a future working relationship - all within a few minutes. Then on to the next person. So much pressure! I would rather find the girl I'm rooming with or the one I had lunch with that day and continue a previous conversation. Anyway. :)
Just a couple of thoughts from the conference...
One wonderful French pastor [he was SO DARLING] shared his testimony through a translator and I just loved it – he and a couple people from his church noticed the African women in their town “working the streets.” He felt led to invite them to an event at his church, and after ignoring the leading several times on his way home one night, he finally turned his car around and drove back to the women. He quickly told them about the event and sped off. Shocked when they actually showed up, he and a couple young women from his church began visiting them regularly on their street, bringing coffee and cookies. This has turned into a regular ministry and close relationships between he and his wife and some of the girls.
I was encouraged by a recurring theme over the week – “Start small.” I wrestle with the “smallness” of what I’m doing sometimes, but every ministry has small beginnings. I’ve had to remind myself of this a few times in the last 6 months. Even the large ministries that were there, with programs and rescue stories and volunteers galore, began with a few people who saw a need and tried to figure out the best way to meet it. Often they failed and often they wanted to quit. But, when God gives vision, he gives the means and direction – eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment