Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I touched them. But I washed my hands afterward.

[Side note: Earlier today I was looking at a friend's photos and reliving my shock at the public urinals in Amsterdam. Just click on that link and you too can relive it!]

[Side note #2: I am not giving you answers to my quiz below until some people actually attempt to figure some of them out. :)]

And here are some photos from one day last week in Australia (I am back in Athens now), when we went to this wildlife reserve and touched weird animals.

This is Blair, the koala:Koalas are basically lethargic and sleepy all the time from eating so much eucalyptus. Except when they need more, then they're quite alert! Not so sure about touching this thing... (like my hair cut? It's as short as it looks, eek!)Dingoes:Off to see the kangaroos...These were the strangest for me. I guess I'd never really seen them before, so I felt like I was in some computer animated movie with made-up animals (like Mr. Tumnus in Narnia?). Especially watching them move, with their enormous muscly hind legs and tails, which they also use to move around. They are pure muscle. Explains why it's such a healthy meat (yes, they eat their mascot in this country!!!)...These suckers were so strange and I am admittedly not much of an animal person (not so sure about this one either) ...Andrew is a pro!Taking a load off...Tasmanian Devil:Wombat:And we ran into more kangaroos, some bigger ones and then some smaller ones. They were everywhere in this forest, which added to the whole Lord of the Rings/Narnia feel... (I was a pro by then too!)A baby joey in the pouch:Emu: (I may have chased the emu across the field, but I would never confess to such a thing.)

A fun day in the Land of Make Believe. I did try some kangaroo later, as well as crocodile and emu. All tasty! There isn't really a shortage...you have to be careful driving around dusk because kangaroos will just hop into the street (they aren't very smart). What a strange place. :)

No comments: