Monday, February 07, 2011

blurbs

Ok, happy February. It's been a busy time, I am completely distracted and excited. But anyway, there are quite a few fun things we have done in the past few weeks. I've got photos of it all, but they're on Andrew's camera and I can't be bothered to upload them. :)

Tour Down Under ... We hung out with Lance Armstrong for a few days a couple weeks ago. We went and saw the opening race (which means we saw hundreds of riders fly past us for approximately 45 seconds and then it was done), and then we went to the final race a week later. Most days they were out riding around South Australia, but the last race was right in the city of Adelaide - a little 4 km circle that they went around and around and around (90 km worth!!). So we got the rush of air and adrenalin from a wall of 130 professional riders blowing past a whole bunch of times. Lance was easy to spot - generally in last place. Or almost. :)

Australia Day ... was January 26. We went with a couple of friends to the Barossa Valley, one of Adelaide's wine regions. Chris and Amy are a fun couple; really enjoyable to hang out with and good companions for a day under the hot sun - at a Sting concert! Mr. Gordon Sumner (AKA Sting) brought his crew and joined the Melbourne orchestra for a great concert under the stars in the Barossa. Fun day and great music!

Bike ride ... we did our own tour down under the other day; I borrowed Andrew's housemate's mountain bike and he rode his (instead of his road bike, to be fair to me) and we had a lovely ride down to the beach. Since we didn't leave until about 6:30pm, and we had dinner and caught the sunset down there, we didn't start to head back until after 9pm. It made for a bit of a long day. 40 km in all; my longest ride in quite some time. By the time we were nearing home again, it was after 10pm and I was a bit tired (and cranky, but who's keeping track). Andrew came up behind me on his bike and began to push me - it was great fun! I was going faster than I had gone all night! Only wish he had thought of that earlier. :)

Glenelg ... is another beach area here. This past weekend we drove (much appreciated this time, vs. riding bikes) down there, had a lovely dinner and walked on the beach. I love summer in January and February! We've had just a few days of unbearable heat, but for the most part it's been really pleasant.

Enjoying my days in Adelaide for who knows how much longer we will have here...

No comments: