Sunday, February 13, 2011

My boyfriend cut my hair.

If you didn't already know, Andrew deals with hair. Hair loss and regrowth and replacement and all of that "re-" stuff that has to do with losing one's hair. For men and women, whether it's from pattern baldness or alopecia or trichotillomania or chemotherapy. He has helped a lot of people. You can look at his website if you want.

Many moons ago, he went to trade school to become a hairdresser. He still does this, though most of his time is taken up with managing, sales, marketing, and consulting. The majority of his clients here in Adelaide are men, while new interstate clients (Sydney and Melbourne) are about 80% female. Still, over the past 16 years, he's cut a lot of men's hair. Not so much women's hair.

When we met, he informed me that he would never cut my hair. He didn't want my hating my hair to ever come between us. Fair enough.

Until tonight! One of his employees has been cutting my hair, but I haven't had time to get in and lately it has been desperately needing a cut. So badly that Andrew can hardly stand to look at me. (Ok, it's not that bad.) "My girlfriend has mushroom hair," he whimpered today. So that was it. We are heading to Sydney tomorrow for work and I guess I could no longer be seen in public that way. He marched me down to the shop tonight for a cut (and color, why not).

He was nervous that he wouldn't like it. I was nervous that I wouldn't like it.

But - he did great. :) I really miss my long hair so it's still a bit too short for me, but it's a really good cut. Yay for both of us - he got good practice with a flat iron and I no longer have mushroom hair. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and, the photo of this event? Come on - this post begs for a photo!

Glad you both survived! I wondered if you'd ever let him cut your hair!!

R.A. said...

Janice: and I wondered if this blog would ever refer to him as her boyfriend. ;)

Kelsey said...

Rachel: I moved across the world for this boy, so you can be sure he is my boyfriend! haha :)

janell said...

this post requires PICTURES. POST HASTE.

Anonymous said...

Rachel: I wondered about that as well, but figured I should only offer one point of curiosity at a time! I wouldn't want to overwhelm dear Kels with my wondering! :)