Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My blog & the life of Christ

Yes, I can make those two topics go together.

I’m bored with my blog. If I’m boring myself it can’t be that interesting for others either! :) Today I made a new blog banner perhaps to inspire myself to write more exciting things. Like, yesterday driving home on surface streets I saw 5 different shoes in the middle or on the side of the road. Why are there single shoes on the street? How do people lose their shoes while driving??? And wouldn’t they notice they are missing one shoe and go back and get it? You can’t very easily leave or go someplace without a shoe…I would think you would notice you were only wearing one.

I’m in my last week of summer school, taking the class “Life of Christ.” It has been good to fill in the other gospels with Matthew’s depiction of Jesus’ ministry. :) But aside from noticing how different gospel writers portray particular events of his life, it has felt like a Bible study. For four hours at a time, two evenings a week. I like Bible studies. I’ve just never paid $1200 for a 5 week one. I might look into teaching one of those; could be quite lucrative! Matthew anyone? Oh, wait…we just did that.

I have a new goal for my summer: I want to watch as many Jesus movies as I can find. Watching clips in my class has given me a good start:


(The Visual Bible: Matthew - "Happy Jesus")

Claymation; I love this one! We didn't watch it in class, nor do I really put it in the same class as the other ones with real actors, but I've been a fan of this for a few years. :)

Gospel of John - the best portrayal of Jesus that we've seen in class. He gets angry, he yells at Pharisees, yet he is compassionate and patient. Can't wait to watch the whole thing.



Also we have Pier Pasolini's "young angry" Jesus ("The Gospel According to St. Matthew" - description according to my professor); the recent and pretty liberal made for TV "Jesus - The Greatest Story Ever Told"; "Jesus of Nazareth"; etc.

I'm mostly curious as to how each one portrays Jesus. The Matthew video (pictured above) is the portrayal of the happy sentimental Sunday school Jesus we grew up with who hugs everyone and giggles as he asks Peter, "Are you still so dull??" Sigh. Maybe somewhere in the middle of all the Jesuses represented, perhaps with pieces from each character, will be a person somewhat like the one that really was. Hmm--I'll keep you posted. :)

No comments: