Monday, July 21, 2008

if only I didn't have to work...

I've already said it, but it's so much easier to think about and look forward to Greece when I don't have other things to think about!! :) I am hoping, after my job with the Salvation Army ends at the end of September, that I can take at least a month to get myself ready to go. With larger organizations, future "missionaries" are put through months of training in cross-cultural issues, culture-specific training, language acquisition, etc. I am the first person ever to be "sent" by Lydia Today, so we are making it up as we go along. It will really be like I am plucked out of one life and dropped into another. So several weeks of transition time would be good.


We had family and friends over this evening to eat Greek food and talk about what I'll be doing. It was really good to talk about it. I had been trying to work a bit while I was up here (for my real job), but Thursday I gave that up, and I've been able to relax more and think ahead ever since. So tonight I was prepared to discuss, answer questions, and even look forward to what is coming in just a few months!


A family friend came tonight who lived in Athens for 4 years and worked with many of the people I'll be working with. It was so good to talk about it with her. She helped answer some questions about Greece and pr0stitution there. I think I made her miss Athens a bit. :) It was just a good evening for me to be able to be excited and have positive feedback and look forward to this.


P.S. Happy birthday Mom! (With Travis at his graduation last year. The beard is long gone, by the way.)

No comments: