Thursday, July 17, 2008

omg, I need to go swimsuit shopping!

People ask a lot of questions I don't know the answers to. It's becoming kind of draining. I don't have all the details about Greece, I don't know all the answers they want, and I am fine with that...but there are always more questions.

Someone asked today if I am "just soooo excited"? I told her I haven't really had a chance to think about it much. She thought that was weird. She wanted me to say yes, I'm so excited! and then to go off and live my glamorous exotic life on a Greek island wearing my swimsuit all the time. I know that's what she wanted, because she said "you're going to need like 12 swimsuits for Greece!"

For the record: No, I do not know what I'm going to do with my car while I'm gone. Or my cell phone. I don't have an apartment or know where I'm going to live in Athens. It will get worked out, but I just haven't had a chance to think about these things. I don't know the answers.

And I'll just be honest: NO, I'm not excited right now. If people want to think my life is going to be all blue water and white rooftops and the acropolis and feta, that's fine I guess. What I think about is leaving my friends, familiarity, certainty. I think about being single overseas, and having to rebuild community. And no, I'm not excited about that, not at all.

So I'm feeling a teensy bit tired of being asked all these questions that I have no answers to, and trying to act excited for other people.

Don't stop asking me questions - it helps me to think about the transition and what's coming. Just don't be disappointed if I don't have it all thought through and planned, or I don't have the response you want.

4 comments:

Sharone, Uncloned said...

I appreciate your tastefully sarcastic use of "omg." :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honesty! Given the nature of the work you're going to do in Athens, it might seem a little weird to be 'super excited' to jump in...I guess I see it more as "Lord, I understand you've called me to this and I know you equip those you call - which is a really good thing because there are a LOT of unknowns right now and I've got to trust you on this one!"

Keep pressing on!!

BoyCo. said...

Check out my blog now! Gesh, I've been on here forever.

PS How do you make a collage on here, Miss Pro-Blogger.

Katie said...

hey lady, we need to talk...i'm right there with you, and as a single american lady in bangkok, there are definitely challenges that blind side you when you are or are not expecting them. It's hard. No one said it was easy. Or else everyone ELSE would be doing it. :) But I am proud of you and all that you are doing...

Know that I am praying for you often.

Love,
Katie