Old Turkish mosque, Hania harbor, CreteI have really been racking my brain for these creative blog post titles, you know.
It is indeed Sunday afternoon. I spoke at two churches this morning; I have been up since the crack of dawn to travel an hour an a half to the first one, which put me only in a north Athens suburb (from where I live in the center). Gotta love public transportation involving metro, bus, and taxi.
I love that my new neighborhood is lively and quaint at the same time; the cafes bustling with more Greeks than tourists, the old neoclassical houses that still remain here and there, the clear view of the Acropolis a block from my building, the frequent accordian players that wander through the streets. But as the weather gets warmer and the days get longer I can't even GET to my building! The tourists are here in droves, and Athens is a completely different place. I can't even walk into my neighborhood without slowing to a halting creep on weekends, when the street vendors come out and the tourists crowd onto the walking streets buying plastic splatting tomatoes (pretty sure these haven't made it to the States yet), handmade jewelry and bread rings. It's a fun place for sure - I just need to prepare myself for the throngs of people I'm going to have to face whenever I set foot outside this summer!
I've written and deleted a few posts in the last couple weeks, realizing it helps me process things but that I don't necessarily want the whole world reading my ponderings. I get over it quicker when I get it out - the problem with blogging is that the feelings may pass, but the words are still out there! I guess in a way this has become akin to journaling for me.
Seeing some of the islands and other parts of this country in the last month has been SO GREAT for me in terms of liking Greece. Stuck in the city, sometimes it's easy to think it's no place special, it's loud and dirty, there's crime and exploitation and deranged drivers, just like any other international city. Santorini, Crete, Thessaloniki, and some of the other BEAUTIFUL places I have seen remind me not only that I live in Greece, but give me a new appreciation for the culture, history, and allure that attracts people here.
There is plenty more "miscellany" clattering around in my head, but it is Sunday afternoon and I am going to lay on my newly assembled couch and do ... nothing. :)
1 comment:
"I've written and deleted a few posts in the last couple weeks, realizing it helps me process things but that I don't necessarily want the whole world reading my ponderings. I get over it quicker when I get it out - the problem with blogging is that the feelings may pass, but the words are still out there! I guess in a way this has become akin to journaling for me."
Ah, wise woman. Thou art eons wiser than I. But do save those posts in a file somewhere on your computer...cause it IS like journaling, and it's a shame to lose those moments.
Post a Comment