Friday, August 07, 2009

self care, thoughts, and prayer

We took advantage of Judy T. being here last weekend and put on a little spiritual formation/soul care seminar for people in a couple of the trafficking/pr0stitution ministries here on Friday. I've been thinking so much about some of the things we discussed over the weekend following that I spent with her and Gene. Lots of things, like trainings, self care, soul care, giftings and skills, projects here in Greece, etc. She almost has me convinced to go home and do the MA in spiritual formation... ;)

I've been thinking so much about the soul care stuff...it's so difficult here. I haven't journaled since May, which is a good indication of how introspective I've been lately! Community is difficult, and when you're involved in a difficult ministry, it's hard to figure out how to process it correctly and appropriately, especially in a foreign culture and setting. One friend of mine who has been here the same length of time as me (about 9 months) is in a stage of being totally overwhelmed by everything. I, however, don't feel much of anything at times. Opposite ways of dealing with things. I am going to look into how we can better integrate self care into our ministry, because I think (perhaps on the mission field as a whole) it is something that is sorely missing.

Which leads me to more thoughts...how much I enjoy the discipleship/study/teaching aspect of things. Thinking of how this fits into my current roles...... many thoughts to be had.

P.S. Please pray for my friends, Emily and Ryan, who are missionaries in the Dominican Republic but had to make an emergency trip back to the States this week because of pregnancy complications...click on their names for more details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your openness. I think self-care is something that people, but especially people in ministry don't do well.

When I worked as a youth pastor at a church, it was the same idea -- so much giving and getting overwhelmed and then not really having anything in place to do self-cafe...or it wasn't even really encouraged.

I can imagine that it's intensified on the mission field. I will be praying specifically for renewal and that you will find a few ways to incorporate self-care for yourself and encourage it in those you serve with.