I thought I'd get you started with a few Italy photos during my 25 hour journey!! (I already posted many on Facebook so if you're my friend you can look there.)
Our first stop was Venice. We flew in and took a long boat ride into the city. As I mentioned previously, there were SO MANY tourists there. Our hotel guy said that 50 years ago there were 250,000 Venetians living here; now there are 55,000, and there are 17 million tourists each year. That's almost 50,000 a day, and of course this is August, the busiest month of the year... yeesh.
St. Mark's square (or San Marco Piazza, if you want to get Italian on me), is a bustling place to hang out, swarming with pigeons, vendors, and gelato lickers. There are cafes all around the perimeters, and many of them have full orchestras that play back and forth. It's fun to sit and enjoy a drink or dessert and listen to the battle of the bands!
We went to the Doge's Palace. (I don't know how to say it either. We just called it the Doggy Palace; we're classy that way.) Got in a bit of trouble...
Then of course there are the canals. We spent most of our time (a day and a half) wandering the alleys and crossing bridges and taking pictures.



And eating. I have essentially eaten my way through the country. How do people eat like this? Pizza, pasta, not a vegetable to be seen! At the train station in Venice I bought a bag of fruit - grapes, peach, apple, 4 apricots, and some kind of plummy thing, and ate it all on the way to our next destination. I needed the effects of all that fruit to counteract the effects of all those carbs!!! (TMI?)
Venice is really beautiful, and Holly and I were glad we got to see it. Along with 50,000 of our closest friends. If we were to go back though, we'd go a different time of year. Food was great, views were great, theme park environment was tolerable. I may have even seen one or two authentic Italians. :)Signing off from the United Arab Emirates ... ! حتى في المرة القادمة
1 comment:
LOVE the photos.
Post a Comment