Thursday, November 11, 2010

Don't look now...

They were the words I had been dreading... "Don't look now, but there's a spider on your wall."

Ugh. I've been waiting in semi-paranoia to be attacked any day now by a foot-long spider, so Andrew's words caused me to freeze before I turned around to survey the monster hovering over my bed across the room.

Thankfully, it wasn't as big as the one I showed you the other day, but not the kind of thing you want anywhere near you while you sleep!

Andrew left the room for a second, undoubtedly to get the biggest shoe he could find, or maybe a giant encyclopedia or some other enormous object worthy of smashing the living daylights out of my intruder. What a man, I was thinking; he steps right into action to save me from the big gross hairy spider!! And he came back with ... a cup.

So I watched as he fished a suitable piece of paper out of a stack on my floor (ahem, to be filed), trapped the thing against the wall with the cup and slid the paper in there. He took it all the way out to the backyard, much to the excitement of the possessed family dog, Sam, and let it go in the garden.

I suppose I should think it's good that his first instinct is to set free rather than to kill (like mine). I just think it's rather hilarious that while I'm wondering how we are going to smash it without smearing it all over the wall, he is considering the necessary glass size and paper thickness to effectively release the thing to have a long peaceful life in the great outdoors. That option just doesn't even occur to me - I'll kill it every time, spider, cockroach, millipede (one of which I found in my bed the other day), whatever.

Well, maybe not a foot long spider ... I'm not sure WHAT I would do with that!?

P.S. Aussie mozzies can eat you THROUGH YOUR JEANS!!

1 comment:

april said...

So can California ones, if your jeans are tight. ;-)

I started wearing lemon eucalyptus insect repellent, which i found at REI. It works okay--which i must tolerate because i'm allergic to other kinds. Being the home of eucalyptus trees, maybe they have some there?