I'm not a fan of American imperialism or anything, but I have to say that this sight makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy. It happened in Greece, and it's happening here in Adelaide, South Australia as well: an increased supply of fresh and frozen turkeys toward Thanksgiving week.Now Australian supermarkets are amping up their Christmas supplies, so it's quite likely that the increased turkeys are a result of impending Christmas dinners, but I'm choosing to take it as an acknowledgment that we exist and are celebrating a very important holiday next week. That was definitely the case in Greece, as Greeks don't really cook turkeys and there are a lot of expats in Athens, and I am going to say "Thanks!" to the Aussies too, for making me feel welcome. ;)
We're doing our best to put together some kind of Thanksgiving dinner here - none of Andrew's friends have celebrated an American Thanksgiving and are quite keen to do so! It's becoming a challenge to find a date that works for all, so we'll see if it works, but in any case I plan to cook a full Thanksgiving dinner at some point - my first turkey, and definitely the first time I'm going to be cooking everything myself...!!! I'll gladly accept any tips or favorite recipes...
3 comments:
When I taught Advanced Foods and Nutrition it was tradition to have a Thanksgiving feast - so I would cook 2 turkeys in one day...one for each class. The kids would spend a few days prepping their dishes and I would get to try to teach my regular classes while watching turkeys and popping other dishes in and out of the oven -- all for the big feast!
I have a super easy turkey rub and way to stuff it...can pass it along if you'd like!
Well cooking a turkey isn't that hard - I did my first two years ago. Covering it or putting it in a bag helps it not dry out, and you can find lots of good recipes on the web if you just google "turkey rub."
Also...you used the word "keen"...part of me feels like that's an Aussie influence in your linguistic life...
"Keen" is totally an Aussie word! But can you think of an American word with the same meaning?
Janice - would love the turkey info! Or better yet, do you want to come over and help me??? ;)
Post a Comment