Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I'm trying to emit the right fragrance...

D. and I are memorizing 2 Corinthians together, four verses a week. We just finished chapter 2, and these last four verses have probably been the most meaningful to me yet. I'm not one for floofy figurative language (oops--am I allowed to call Paul floofy? I'm confident he was FAR from floofy) but I really like the "fragrance" and "aroma" imagery.

“But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.” (14-17)

This causes me to check what kind of "aroma" I put off -- here's hoping it's more of a fragrance than an odor -- and it's also a great picture of the influence we have on those around us. (Just think of something like fish and how the smell carries, how long it lasts, and how certain smells seems to stick around in rooms or clothing! One lady at work has fish at least once a week, and I am fortunate to have the desk closest to the microwave...) I would pray that these verses characterize my life, as one who spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him. WE are the ones who are the aroma of Christ to those around us, believers and non-believers alike. Perhaps I can pray for a more distinct, pungent scent. :)

No comments: