Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jesus is Lost on a tropical island

This weekend I watched the Gospel of John movie, all three hours of it (the "theatrical" version). I love this depiction of Jesus and his ministry, it's one of my favorites. The guy who plays Jesus, Henry Ian Cusick, does a great job, plus he's easy on the eyes :) (Okay something feels just WRONG about saying that about Jesus.) Anyway, I had read that Jim Caviezel became a Christian after filming the Passion of the Christ, so I was very curious about Henry Ian Cusick's story. The John film was made for evangelistic purposes, so surely he must be a believer...?


I found this article on him, which starts off on a humorous note ("When I last saw Jesus, he was showing the wounds of his crucifixion to his disciples. Now he is leaning across the counter of Starbucks, craning to read the menu.") and gives some information on the actor. He is half Peruvian and half Scottish, a stage actor in London (did you know Jesus had a British accent?), and he grew up Roman Catholic. So after memorizing the entire book of John and portraying Jesus from baptism to ministry to crucifixion and beyond, this is what he had to say:

"The whole experience has rubbed off on me, too. It's made me think more carefully about who Jesus was. I go to Mass more often, and when the priest reads from the Gospel of John, I find myself saying: I know every word of this." Hmmm. I found myself disappointed. He was able to portray the charisma and character of Jesus so well, he memorized all his words from that gospel (and undoubtedly still knows them to some extent). Yet for all of that, the message apparently remains external. The true meaning of those words seems to be lost. How does that happen?


Speaking of Lost, which I never got into, Jesus is now one of the main characters on the show! I'm glad I haven't been watching it, that would definitely throw me off. :)

Jesus in a tie

No comments: