Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The other day I was struck by the hilarity of a parking lot. Do you ever think of normal everyday things such as traffic laws or even driving and think how weird it is that EVERYONE does it, knows how to do it, or submits to social norms and laws? I pulled into the big empty parking lot at church the other night, and maneuvered my car in between the two white lines comprising a parking spot, even though there were no other cars around. This struck me as weird at the moment, as does the fact frequently that I know how to and regularly operate a huge piece of metal machinery that is my car. Am I weird???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, that is hysterical! Sometimes I think about how all of us basically roll around in these giant metal contraptions that we maneuver with our feet and hands, and we do it like it's the most natural thing in the world when it is totally unnatural...it makes me laugh, and then I feel a little crazy for laughing.

april said...

Live on the wild side. Drive in the "exit only" opening. ;-)

Ja, i think it is a little strange that we--or some of us--follow parking lot rules when there's no one else there, but mostly i think it's strange because so many people run stop signs when they *think* no one else is coming. That's a lot more dangerous of a rule to break! And yet lots of people keep the silly ones.

You never know who's going to see you do it, though, or who may decide to break the rules at the same time with smashing results. ;-)