(I know I said I wasn't looking forward to my classes this semester, and that is sort of true, particularly one of them. However I have come to the realization that that feeling is largely due to the fact that this is my second-to-last semester of grad school, I have been at this for nearly four years, and I am just ready to be DONE!)
From the perspective of someone who teaches women's Bible Studies (yes ME), I found our class discussion today particularly interesting. Educating the church body is far more than simply teaching. It involves bringing individuals and community into a full knowledge of God through many different means, ultimately resulting in transformation of both the individual and the body.
As far as teaching is concerned, there are five different words used to describe this in Scripture, in two groups...
RATIONAL/INTELLECTUAL:
1. yarah (Ps. 32:8) - to instruct, direct, point out
2. bin (Dan. 8:16) - to understand + discern + distinguish concepts (intellect)
3. shanan (Deut. 6:7) - to impress, sharpen, pierce, convict
RELATIONAL/EXPERIENTIAL:
4. ra'ah (Ps. 23:1) - to tend or feed, edify (also Greek poimen, to shepherd or pastor)
5. lamad (Deut. 4:5) - to train
The reason I write all this out is because the pendulum of rational and relational teaching, faith, and worship is something I've been thinking about and swinging on for years. Really a full knowledge of God includes both, so good teaching has to include both. Today there is a heavy emphasis on the relational experience of faith (personal application), which is more post-modern. Older teaching you might notice (also older worship - hymns, etc.) focus heavily on content and reason rather than experience and application.
When I moved to California three and a half years ago and started to look for a church, I had a hard time finding one that balanced my mind (which I think is more rational) and my experience of faith (yep, the Foursquare roots). :) I have swung back and forth on this pendulum, and I think most churches have a difficult time balancing the two as well. I notice that my teaching is a lot more focused on the rational & intellectual, mostly because I have a harder time thinking of good illustrations here and there, plus I just really like to dig into the text! :) But holistic teaching, as was Jesus' teaching, involves both the mind AND the heart, intellect and personal application that should cause the listener to make changes leading to life transformation.
Talbot puts a lot of emphasis on Spiritual Formation in addition to intellectual study. This balance is vital in communicating the truths of God from the head to the heart. Those times when my faith is balanced appropriately are the best. I find myself attending and working at a Baptist church, sometimes moonlighting at a Vineyard church (Sunday evenings!) to get my charismatic kick, and balancing it with some theological study and personal study and prayer time. It works for me. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment