Friday, January 16, 2009

happy friday!

missing community

I did not do very well with inconveniences earlier this week. You know, handling everything with grace and patience. Or something like that. A few hours removed, they really are no big deal (though still inconvenient!). I realize then that although my first month has felt like a relatively easy transition, things like stress or exhaustion may be bubbling under the surface.

Before, I was just thinking it would be good to have community. Now, at this point, I am craving it. I need community, support, prayer. Friends who worship and pray in my language. People who support me because they are experiencing similar things in life. I love - and am thankful for - my Greek "family" here, but they do not meet this need. "Community" is like a mirror for us; how we see ourselves reflected back and the ways we need to grow - and ultimately, what sharpens us to grow. How I am missing this right now!! (And you ladies plus the others who aren't in the photo above!)

Along with my prayers for that, I've been praying that somehow I could be of use with other gifts here. Somehow I have found myself playing the guitar for worship occasionally at Elias & Voula's house church on Sunday nights. It is very small, more like a small home group, but Pepie has semi-permanently loaned me her guitar, so I can play whenever I want, and serve them this way on Sundays. This seems to be one of those things I'd like to hide away but always get asked to do. :)

I asked a girl for her phone number on Sunday at church. :) Haha. How awkward. Making new friends takes time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I hear your heart here. I will be praying for at least one or two good friends for you that have similiar interests, language, and that you feel you really connect with on a personal level - not necessarily just because it's ministry/they are close.

Hang in there!

R.A. said...

"Friends who worship and pray in my language."

I know exactly what you are feeling. I have so been there.