Wednesday, February 10, 2010

a few projects

Since I guess I'm going to be staying awhile, I've been putting a bit more effort into decorating my house and otherwise making it feel like home. Until a few weeks ago my entryway had a big box from moving (yes, I moved last April!) and a mattress leaning against the wall. Nothing says "welcome!" like a storage area at the front door! I didn't think to take a before picture, but here is what my entryway is looking like these days:
Still would like something on the wall above the shelf...
The mirror that nearly cost me my sanity (dumb concrete walls!) :In Paris last May I bought some cute & bright postcards that I have been intending to frame and hang. Again, I know it's been awhile, but I finally got around to it, in the office/dining room/uninspiring extra room! (Please ignore the messy desk!)

(Nails are much easier to pound into concrete than drilling screws...)

Not only have I been doing things on the inside, but apparently they are preparing to do something on the outside too! I woke up yesterday to metal being hammered together just feet from my bedroom window. I investigated, and was startled to see a man on a board on the other side of the glass!!! By the end of the day, my entire building was surrounded by scaffolding:
So...it's anyone's guess, but my assumption is that they are repainting. I am mildly afraid that we are going to be wrapped in green tarp (see piles of suspicious green stuff near the bottom of the photo!). There is a building down the street that has been wrapped in the stuff for months!! I thought that one was uninhabited, but sadly I may be proved wrong... :(

I'll be out of Athens for a few days... (have I trained you yet to check the other blog for ministry-related stuff?) we'll see what my building looks like when I come back!

1 comment:

april said...

I certainly hope your building isn't wrapped in tarps too! I'd go bonkers without fresh air and sunlight inside...

and i hear you on the one-year decorating too. I didn't really decorate my first year in Cameroon, but the summer inbetween years i put all kinds of things up, even though there was *only* a year left. It's a long time, those 12 months. :)