Friday, October 01, 2010

Top 10 things I'll miss about Greece

Since everyone keeps asking, and "my friends" doesn't seem to satisfy as an answer ...

10. constant excitement - You're always on your toes here, with strikes, demonstrations, and just a general unconventional way of going about things. Never a dull moment! (And, on second thought, I really won't miss this at all.) :)
9. language - Greek is hard. But there is something satisfying about learning and being able to communicate in another language that you never get to experience as a tourist.

8. periptera - I will miss these kiosks!

7. sandal man - There is this guy in Plaka from whom I buy these great Greek-made sandals. They aren't the most flashy, but they're made for lots of walking and they have gotten me and my bad feet through two summers. There is definitely a price to pay (usually in the form of nasty attempted kisses), so I suppose it's not the sandal man that I'll miss, but the sandals themselves!
6. fresh produce - Who doesn't love the weekly neighborhood λαϊκή (farmer's market)?
5. close proximity to Europe and elsewhere - In less than two weeks I'll be located at the bottom of the earth. Really wishing I could have gotten to more of the amazing cultural destinations that Europe (and beyond!) has to offer while I was so close, but so thankful for those I saw!
4. public transportation - Visiting other cities I've paid $4 or more to ride the metro, trains, and buses. In Athens, 1 euro will get you 90 minutes on any combination of the metro, buses, and trams. Since I live centrally, getting around is really easy here. Even when I can't get to my destination by public transportation, a taxi usually isn't more than 3-5 euros wherever I need to go.

3. Greek food and the taverna experience - I love sitting in a Greek restaurant (taverna) with a group of friends, ordering the familiar dishes, and sharing everything family-style. This doesn't always fly everywhere you go. The combination of the great food and the ambiance and being with friends is one of the things I'll miss the most.
2. beach & islands - I think this is self explanatory! Though my job isn't pretty, I tried to escape to the beach or a close by island on free weekends to get out of the city. I discovered that I love swimming in the warm Mediterranean! What a blessing to live in a country with such beautiful places.

1. my friends. They will still top the list. I have old ones, and I will make new ones, but these ones have shared much and been the highlight of my two years here.

No comments: