Sunday, March 23, 2008

happy Easter

Hi from Thessaloniki where it is not Easter for another month. I am at Kiki's family's home for Sunday afternoon extended-family lunch. I think I have been full past stomach capacity for about three days.

Yesterday a tall stocky man asked me to take his picture (with his camera) in front of a statue of Alexander the Great on the waterfront. I did, and he said, "Where are you from?"
"Los Angeles."
"I'm from Belgrade. You bombed us."
"Umm...well. Sorry about that."
"Well, it wasn't you, so it's ok. Do you want to get a coffee?"

I think I came on this trip with high expectations and I am suffering a little disappointment from that. I have definitely gotten a good picture of life and ministry here. I spent a lot of time with Whitney, the woman who directs the Door of Life ministry here in Thess, at this ridiculous conference this weekend, and I really like her. I LOVE Thessaloniki. But I think that as far as clear direction for what might be next, I don't have that yet. If I wanted, I could definitely move to Greece, find a place to live and something to do. But at this point it would be by my own choice, not a definite sense of "calling." If I am going to move somewhere, when I have hard days I will need that assurance that God brought me there. At this point, I don't have that, for Athens or for Thess. I know when it's time, for Greece or whatever is next, I will know, so I will just continue to pray and wait and see. There are definitely opportunities here.

I have much to say about the ministry Sandie is working on, the A21 Justice Center project funded by Hillsong. Much to say about Hillsong and how NOT excited I am to affiliate myself with them after this weekend. I will say more, after I can process it more. It seems that the whole project is still in the works, and it is just a waiting game right now as the resources and staff come together.

I have been enjoying finding my way around Thessaloniki (much easier to manage than Athens!) and eating all kinds of horrible-for-me-but-so-good food. Yesterday the lady who put together the women's conference took all the pastors' wives and other ministry leaders out for lunch (somehow I got in on that) to a really nice restaurant right on the water. The weather was spectacular, the food was so good. They kept bringing out plates and more plates of food. It's Lent, so there was only seafood and other non-meat dishes. I ate a tiny bite of octopus, but I cut off the suckers.

I don't think I have gotten over the jetlag here, so I've been so tired, but staying up late with Kiki and going out to her favorite hangouts and talking and wandering the streets. :) Greek social life is like 10am to 2am. I'm so glad I got to stay with her and get some Greek flavor. Now, I am ready to come home. I have been ready for a few days. Flight is early tomorrow morning, and Kiki is threatening to keep me up all night and send me straight off to the airport. I don't think I could handle that. :)

No comments: