Yes, I know how that appears, and no, I don't mean it in any dirty or inappropriate way. What I mean is, I love girls!! I love them and want them to know they are loved and valued and that their worth isn't based on what men think of them or what the world says. Take tonight, for example, at the end of the college group service:
"Hey Kelsey--"
"Hi!"
"--are you single?? Or married or something."
"I'm single."
"How old are you?"
"Twenty eight."
"Can I talk to you for a minute?"
What followed was a 25-year-old pouring out her heart for a half hour on how hard it is to be single, struggling with the thoughts of "is there something wrong with me?" and "what if I never get married?" We talked it over and prayed together and I think my heart actually broke a little bit.
I realized tonight that I am the only single female "leader." I really hope I can set a good example that it's possible to be out of college and single and HAPPY. Content. And capitalizing on this time by doing things that perhaps couldn't be done as well as a married person.
I'll just say it again, I'm so excited for this ministry! :)
3 comments:
You go, girl! :)
I love this post! I still have one gal from the college group at the church where I was Youth Director check in with me. She and I had many talks about being single, contentment, and more often than not she asked me, "How do you do singleness so well when you're approaching 30?" (and I would remind her I was only part way from 25 to 30 and she better be careful!
Keep up mentoring, guiding and encouraging this gal and others -- what a gift that wil be for them!
Kelsey~
You are totally needed! My sister has gone through feelings like this several times. It's so sad that young women start to have these feelings after college. "You have your whole life ahead of you!!!" Be satisfied and content, Kelsey, and hopefully the younger girls will see how marvelously the Lord can use you... and them!!!
Loves,
Amers
Post a Comment