Is it really only 6:00? I've only been up for 8 hours but I am dead tired (jet lag...it'll get you every time). I just got home after running around all day with Pepie and Stuart and then by myself. Stuart is from England and has lived here for three years (and does not know Greek - so when I hang out with the whole group, at least there is someone almost as clueless as I am!). I seem to have picked up an English accent today, at least in my head.We ran lots of errands; they are furnishing their apartment and doing some DIY projects, so we went and looked at some furniture, wood and stains, etc., and I got myself a hairdryer and clothes hangers. Stopped off at the grocery store...this was mildly overwhelming for my second day in the country. Where are the lean cuisines!!?!?!?
After they dropped me off I went out for about an hour and a half, walking in all directions from my house. I mentioned I am about 5 minutes from the sea; it's true...I walked over the hill and in (ok, maybe 7) minutes I was standing on a little jetty on the water looking at Piraeus and the harbor in the sunset. Over to the right was the Parthenon in the distance, and all around was blue ocean and the coastline. Tomorrow I will have to bring my camera.
I walked around a bit more while I still had daylight, down to the metro station, along the trolley route, down to a park where I can run, etc. Since a lot of Piraeus is on a hill, there are lots of stairs. Directly to the right of my building there are approximately 230 steep steps that could be quite a workout should I take them quickly. (Even slowly they were a little tiring!) Up at the top there is a good view of Athens, the stadiums, the Acropolis, etc.
I live here! Yeah...not sure that has really set in yet. Some moments it feels like a vacation that I will go home and tell my friends about. Other moments, like tonight when I got home and remembered that I don't have many friends here at all, I remember that I'm in the midst of a rather significant life change and that there will be challenging moments. I really need to make some friends... Work contacts are good, and I will start with that next week, and I am really thankful for the people here who have already accepted me as family. Soon though I am going to get to learn to make my own friends. :)
1 comment:
Kels, Wow! I'm so excited for you and have been praying for you even though I've been so awful at emailing. Hope learning Greek is SO MUCH FUN ... surely it's more fun than SPANISH! :) Love ya! -Em
Post a Comment