I braved the metro (subway) system this morning and found my way to an international church in Athens. I met the pastor and his family, Americans, but that's about it. It might be good to find something closer, in Piraeus or at least not way on the other side of Athens. My family upstairs came home from church this afternoon and gave me the phone number of an American girl who has only been here for a month. I will call her this week. I will also probably go to church with George & Lydia next week; apparently some other foreigners go there as well.
I was proud of myself for venturing out on my own. I asked George last night if he thought it would be ok to head into the center of town, which was closed yesterday because of more demonstrations, but he thought Sunday would be fine. So I planned my metro route and got myself to Omonia & Syntagma Squares just for the fun of it, and found the church. It's really sad to see destroyed and burned out shops. These small shops are these people's livelihoods, and for it to happen during a holiday season when they would have made good profits... There were a lot of people out replacing glass, working on fixing their storefronts. There is still some broken glass here and there, shattered telephone booths & subway elevator entrances, etc. and lots of Syntagma Square is blocked off (they burned the big Christmas tree that was up). There were more violent protests in Syntagma last night, but today was ok. Unfortunately people are not stopping; many are thinking that this teenager's death was like a "last straw" for many people.
Anyway, it was good to be out, and I feel more confident about getting myself around now. Next I will try buses! :)
Tonight Pepie and I went to Voula's family's house for their little house church style meeting that they do. It was all Greeks, and me. Afterward we shared spanikopita just out of the oven, then everyone walked back over to Pepie's house for some cake and English custard that Stuart had made. I am just getting home. I love living so close; I am two blocks from Pepie and four from Voula. Voula is a social worker involved with Lydia Today; she has also translated most of our "Hands that Heal" curriculum for training people to work with trafficking victims into Greek. We talked tonight about the possibility of her teaching me Greek. We are going to meet tomorrow and talk about it.
In Greek culture, you have your circle of friends that you do everything with - meals, holidays, vacations, etc. I was told that it is very difficult to get "invited" into one of these groups. This group is very close, and I feel like I have been part of it for years! They have welcomed me right in like family. I know it is due to Sandie's previous relationship with them all these years past, and I'm grateful! It's funny that I already have a little circle of Greek friends, one English friend, and no American friends. Hopefully that will change this week, but this has been just what I needed this first week.
6 comments:
i miss you!!
Praise God for being bold enough to venture out, welcoming and warm people to visit with, and getting a glimpse at life in Greece!
Sounds like you had a great day.
I am glad you are meeting friends and getting used to things in Greece. Please explain why on earth there are so many protests and riots over there right now. From an American's perspective it seems really strange to have all these different groups protesting their work. Are all these occupations run by the govt. (essentially socialist)? And what's with all the rioting? Please take care! We love you!
~Amy
A policeman shot and killed a teenage boy over a week ago, and since then the communist party & anarchists have been demonstrating & rioting & looting. This article says a little about it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7782868.stm
But I read another article somewhere about how rebellion is deeply embedded in the Greek psyche, that centuries of defending their country & heritage (and dying rather than surrendering) has been inherited by this generation in rebellion and contempt for authority. I'll have to find that article, it's a really interesting perspective.
Praise God for this group! It does my heart well to hear of this. I look forward to you being blessed with new friends soon!
The tourguide we spent a week with had NOTHING positive to say about Syntagma square. But I walked there from the Plaka (our hotel was on that main road between Omonia and Syntagma) one night. I'm rebellious, just like the Greeks:) Cute family, I'm glad there are some good peeps for you to hang with. Don't Brits sound so much cooler than us!?
p.s. we refer to Burly (our dog) as a Greek, Burly Evansopulos. just an fyi:)
Post a Comment