I was doing great with this whole reading and making sentences thing. Greek is easy! Especially when I just look back in my notebook if I forget how to form a particular case, or grab the dictionary for those words I keep forgetting because they are pretty much just random sounds all smashed together to form "words" that have absolutely no rhyme or reason anywhere in their 32 syllables.
But then Voula tried to make me have a conversation with her today. She started asking me all these questions. She claimed that they were words I already "knew." I use the word "know" loosely, since having them written down somewhere in my plethora of notebooks next to their definition and having them memorized in my head are very different. (I've been trying to memorize. But some of these words just don't stick - see above comment on randomness of words. And my paper flashcard stack has grown to well over two inches. I think that in itself is very self-defeating.)
By the way, I refuse to use the phrase "It's all Greek to me." Please don't say it to me, you are not the first. :)
GAAAH. This is only the beginning of my third week, so I don't really expect anything different. Only I do expect different; I expect myself to be brilliant and quick at all times. I should having full conversations by now. (Ha ha. That was a joke.) My biggest problem is that my vocabulary has not caught up with my grammar. Oh, and also that part about being able to read it but not hear it quite yet.
In happier news, we are finally going to IKEA tomorrow, so hopefully this place will start to feel like home, and I get to go do touristy things on Wednesday with an American girl I met at church, and I'm going to Delphi on Saturday with a group of people from church. So yay. I will probably have my flashcards in my purse, hoping the words can somehow filter into my brain from their proximity.
2 comments:
I've heard that watching Sesame Street helps people learn English. Do they have a Greek version?
The family upstairs is trying to persuade me to come up and watch Greek cartoons with the kids, saying it would be good for my Greek...while they leave! "It's a win-win!" they say, I practice Greek and they get out of the house without the kids. Haha.
Post a Comment