Tuesday, December 16, 2008

even cold spanakopita is good

I have yet to have a meal in my own apartment. Between Pepie & Stuart calling me over for dinner, Voula sending lunch home with me after Greek lessons in a "tupper-thing," or Lydia bringing me cookies and spanakopita from upstairs, I've had plenty to eat, that's for sure. Sandie told me to be careful, or they'd feed me "right out of my clothes." Excellent!

I have figured out a few things to cook that I have picked up at the store (when I actually get a chance to eat a meal here), figured out - with Stuart's help - where the good bread is, what the good kind of yogurt is, etc. Pepie's dad has bees, so she has stocked me up with homegrown honey and also olive oil. I haven't yet ventured to the butcher, that is rather intimidating and kind of gross, but I guess that's where you get the best meat.

I do need to get a microwave, which is why I'm eating cold spanakopita right now, and later for dinner will have to heat up the rest of Voula's meat & potatoes in the oven. I am making a list of the things I need to get at IKEA for the house, which is why you haven't seen pictures yet. All in good time (nothing happens fast around here). :)

Anyway, I just got back from a run along the sea (I love that they call it "the sea" ... we only have oceans at home), and I'm trying to figure out what I've done to make my knee crackle when I go down stairs (lots of stairs in Piraeus). Hopefully that will go away, it's kind of gross. It's been bothering me for a couple of days now. There is a piano lesson going on right now, lots of Christmas carols. 'Tis the season. :)

Time to do my Greek homework - goodness, I got home from only an hour and a half with Voula this morning and went right back to bed. I remember all of these grammar things from the biblical Greek I took in school, but there are enough differences that I am going to have to completely rid my brain of that stuff to replace it with modern greek. The alphabet is the same, though pronunciation is very different, and some grammar rules are familiar, but it's still going to be a lot of work to reprogram and then learn this language. Wahoo!

Kalimera, Amerikinous filous.

3 comments:

april said...

I remember sleeping hours and hours my first weeks in Quebec--amazing how tiring immersion & language learning is. :) We take speaking a native tongue for granted--like breathing! Hope modern Greek comes quickly for you.

Kelsey said...

That is really good to hear, actually. I need to remind myself that it's kind of normal (and ok) to be tired! It's kind of hard to get out of bed in the mornings still...I was hoping that it's not because I am lazy. :)

Case and Los said...

Kalispera!